Subject: Re: hyperthreading on 2.0; no way to get it to work with my hardware.
To: None <tech-smp@netbsd.org>
From: okay_awright <okayawright@gmail.com>
List: tech-smp
Date: 01/08/2005 17:58:52
hi,

here's what I've done since your last comments regarding my little problem.
1) I've first tested this system under Windows XP SP1 Home. Freshly
installed from scratched on a spare HDD -> Result: hyper threading
works like a charm. Checked that HTT was enabled against the Windows
Task Manager and a specialized Intel utility downloaded from their web
site.
2) Then I've compiled and booted the system from a MP_ACPI enabled
NetBSD-current (not a snapshot, plain cvs from a few minutes ago)
kernel without any improvement -compared to the one built with the 2.0
release-. Dmesg output is similar to the one i've already posted (
"cpu0 at mainbus0: apid 0 (boot processor)" and "ioapic0 at mainbus0
apid 1", no second processor enabled by the kernel). Quick & dirty
modus operandi: I've only updated my kernel sources and recompiled the
GENERIC.MP_ACPI without upgrading my tool-chain -lazy me- (cd
/usr/src/sys && cvs update -dP; cd .. && ./build.sh
kernel=GENERIC.MP_ACPI && mv
/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/obj/GENERIC.MP_ACPI/netbsd /; reboot)

Still no luck.

Do I have to submit a bug report?
I'm looking forward to test some fresh ideas (or patches ;)).

cheers everyone,
okay_awight