Subject: Re: Avoiding microtime(9) global state
To: None <>
From: Jason Thorpe <>
List: tech-smp
Date: 06/30/2004 18:11:25

On Jun 30, 2004, at 2:16 PM, wrote:

> And example is:
>         A given file system operation might want to be tagged with a
>         'time' for global ordering (i.e., so that if time changes,
>         operation is not considered to have occured before another
>         operation when sorting/batching i/o).
>         The same file system operation might want to mark a file with
>         current Time of Day (e.g., modify time).
> I suspect that trying to use an actual time value and forcing it to
> always increase was an attempt to shoehorn both of those together.

So, perhaps there should be mono_microtime() (for the former), and
plain-old microtime() for the latter.

...and have fun auditing all the microtime() calls to determine which
ones should be changed to mono_microtime() :-)

         -- Jason R. Thorpe <>

content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (Darwin)