Subject: Frozen Processes on PowerEdge 8450
To: None <tech-smp@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas T. Thai <tom@minnesota.com>
List: tech-smp
Date: 03/22/2004 14:14:05
I got the snapshot from 3/18/2004. Loading using GENERIC.MP kernel.
dmesg per previous email to this list.

I started sup to get all current source on one wscon. Then in another, I
tried to build a kernel from a src from 3/18. Started top to watch the
processors usuage.  Eventually all the processes froze.

The sup process got to:

"SUP Receiving files src/x11/Xserver/hw/xfree86/bin/kbd_CVS/Entries"

and it stopped right there. Ctrl-c, Ctrl-z can't even break it.

Then I went to the wscon screen with top running. It was still showing
the results. I quit out of there, and got the shell prompt back. I typed
"ps" and that too was locked up. No response from Ctrl-c or Ctrl-z.

kernel compiling process was frozen too. Ctrl-z did allow me to suspend
it and get the shell prompt back. However, Ctrl-c didn't do anything. If
I start any processes at the shell prompt, like ps or such, it'll freeze.

Again, the system has over 4 gig of RAM, but only 4 gig showed up. Four
processors are running.

It exhibited similar symptoms last night and I rebooted it with the
reset switch. Upon reboot, it froze at:

boot device: ld0
root on ld0a dumps on ld0b
root file system type: ffs
cpu1: CPU 4 running
cpu2: CPU 5 running
cpu3: CPU 6 running
[FROZE HERE]
wsdisplay0: screen 1 added (80x25, vt100 emulation)  <--- didn't get to here

I reset it again and it booted up pass that point and I got the login
prompt.

I'll go back and try loading a non SMP GENERIC kernel and repeat the
above to see if it freezes like that again.

Regards,
Thomas