Subject: Re: dmesg From PowerEdge 8450
To: None <tech-smp@NetBSD.org>
From: Thomas T. Thai <tom@minnesota.com>
List: tech-smp
Date: 03/21/2004 21:12:39
Martin Husemann wrote:

>>cpu0: features 383fbff<PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,MMX>
>>

>                                          ~~~~~
>
>The Page Segement Extensions (IIRC) allow the mapping of a 36 bit wide
>physical address range into the virtual 32bit addresss range.
>
>There is no support for using this extension in NetBSD yet (and I have
>zero clue how intrusive that would be)

Thank you for the explanation. This means that if I have 8 processors in
there sharing 4 Gig of ram, that doesn't leave much RAM per processor. I
did wonder why Dell suggested 4 Gigs per CPU when it came to configuring
the PowerEdge 8450. It makes sense now.

Do our cousins (FreeBSD, OpenBSD) or even Linux have the 4 Gig RAM limit
on i386 platform? If they don't, how did they work around it?

Regards,
Thomas