Subject: Re: Testing SMP on PowerEdge 8450
To: None <tom@minnesota.com>
From: Havard Eidnes <he@netbsd.org>
List: tech-smp
Date: 03/20/2004 11:14:09
> 1.6.2 doesn't support SMP does it? I should be getting -current?

The answers are "not for i386" and "yes", respectively.

> Is there a recent snapshot or ISO image? The snaps I saw from
> FTP were from 2003.

There's no iso image, but there are snapshots available from
releng.netbsd.org, results from our autobuild setup, the most
recent for i386 is in

  ftp://releng.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/current/200403170000/i386/

> Also, I have 24 Gig of RAM in the machine. The BIOS detected just fin=
e. =

NetBSD does, as far as I recall, not presently have support for
using memory above the 4GB mark on the i386 port.  If you feel
adventurous, you might try to include largepages.inc in your
custom kernel configuration file to get the kernel text mapped
with "large pages" (which is one components needed to access
memory above the 4GB mark, if I've understood correctly), but I
don't think this will do anything else than use this sort of
mapping for the kernel text.

Regards, and good luck,

- H=E5vard