Subject: Re: Dell PowerEdge 8450
To: Mark Simmons <mds@gbnet.net>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-smp
Date: 03/01/2004 19:59:17
On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 01:20:27PM +0000, Mark Simmons wrote:
> Well, reading the paper on the new FreeBSD 5.0 ULE (sp?) scheduler, it
> seems as though they're treating HT CPUs as a form of NUMA for CPU affinity
> purposes.

It's been a while, and maybe my memory is at fault here, but I seem to recall
the paper only scatching HT on the surface. IIUC the main trick was to
have HT (virtual) CPUs share the same per-physical-cpu run queue.

This looked like an amazingly simple trick, but I do not pretend to
understand the implications fully (nor know anything about modern Intel
CPUs or HT). How does lazy FPU saving work in such a sheme?

Martin