Subject: Re: Intel L440GX+ and SMP config
To: None <bob@aoxomoxoa.gddaemon.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@netbsd.org>
List: tech-smp
Date: 05/06/2003 17:53:24
On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 04:51:45PM -0400, bob@aoxomoxoa.gddaemon.org wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I'm new to UNIX and NetBSD in general.  I'm trying to configure a MP kernel on an L440GX+ Intel motherboard.  I'vetried using the MPBIOS option as well as the MPACPI option respectively with the same result.  I used the cpu* at mainbus? option both times and the ioapic* at mainbus? apid? option when I used MPACPI.  These are all set in the "GENERIC" config file (I renamed mine AOXOMOXOA) and commented out of GENERIC.MP (which I renamed AOXOMOXOA.MP).  I ftp'd the source tree before configuring, built the tools, etc. and did ./build.sh kernel=AOXOMOXOA.MP from /usr/src - which completes without errors.  I rename and mv the new kernel to /, renaming the old one to netbsd.old and reboot.  The dmesg output below is what I get regardless of whether I use MPBIOS or MPACPI.
>
> cpu1: starting - but at the end it says cpu failed to start
>
> Any ideas?  This mb would only run FreeBSD-5.0-DP1 smp, other than that, nothing, in fact it would lock up bootingFreeBSD-5.0-release at the point where it waits for scsi devices to settle.  Never had any luck with 4.7 or 4.8 release from FreeBSD either, with pretty much the same outcome.

It looks like you have a quirky board, given that both FreeBSD and NetBSD
have trouble kicking the second CPU into action. Did the CPU spin up
properly with FreeBSD-5.0-DP1? I don't see any recent changed in the
FreeBSD tree that would indicate a fix to make this go.

Do you know if other operating systems work with the second CPU?

- Frank