Subject: Re: LM support (was Re: MSI 6501 Dual AMD Athlon MP & 1.6 i386 MP kernel)
To: MLH <MLH@goathill.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-smp
Date: 09/21/2002 19:23:44
On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 08:47:32PM +0000, MLH wrote:
> On 9 Sep 2002 20:57:18 GMT, MLH wrote:
> > The only problems I have had with these are that the LM driver
> > incorrectly calculates the cpu temperatures (port-i386/18205)
>
> A bit of info on this:
>
> We located a winbond-based driver for Solaris86 called 'health'
> (apparently based on a Linux driver of the same name)
>
> Author:
> Philip Brown   phil@bolthole.com      http://www.bolthole.com/solaris/
>
> This is a driver to support the WinBond "w83781d" family of enviromental
> monitor chips, on Solaris x86.
> Chips specifically known to work:
>   winbond w83781d,  w83782d
>
> This driver produces temperature readings that agree with the MB's
> BIOS temperature readings, However, the chip on the MB is labelled
> 'W83627HF'. If I read correctly, syssrc/sys/dev/ic/nslm7x.c indicates
> that the W83627HF temperature measurements are handled differently
> than the W83781D, but that the W83782D is handled the same as the
> W83627HF.

Hum, no, the temperature measurements are handled the same way for each
winbond chip. And, if I trust the docs (from http://www.winbond.com/)
this is correct, wich one minor nit: the W83627HF may have only 2 sensors where
the W83781D/W83782D have 3. So in your outputs, one of the temps won't
make sense.
I say "may" because the doc isn't clear: some places talk about only
2 sensors, but in the registers description the registers for the third
sensors is there.

Maybe your motherboard has a weird sensors ?

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>