Subject: Re: MSI 6501 Dual AMD Athlon MP & 1.6 i386 MP kernel
To: None <tech-smp@NetBSD.ORG>
From: MLH <MLH@goathill.org>
List: tech-smp
Date: 09/13/2002 04:46:05
On 10 Sep 2002 16:52:33 GMT, MLH wrote:
> On 10 Sep 2002 10:25:01 -0500, Frank van der Linden wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 08:57:18PM +0000, MLH wrote:
>>> The only problems I have had with these are that the LM driver
>>> incorrectly calculates the cpu temperatures (port-i386/18205) and
>>> XF86 appears to be somewhat unstable. It appears to simply lock up
>>> the cpu it is running on - no core dump or anything. If XF86 locks
>>> up cpu1, cpu0 can still conveniently restart the machine, but if
>>> it is running on cpu0, the whole box appears to lock up. Is this
>>> consistent with known status?
>>
>> It's actually the first time I've heard about such an XF86 problem
>> with the MP code. I'm running the MP code myself on my desktop
>> system (a dual Athlon, Tyan board), and am not seeing X problems.

Status. I have two seemingly identical machines. I've been running
one with SMP and one without, and have swapped which is running
which. I have never seen a SP version lock up, but I have had 4
total lockups (3 on one host 1 on the other, but #1 has been running
several days longer), and one cpu1 lockup where cpu0 was still
running. Two of the lockups happened when the machine was essentially
idle, with xdm waiting for a login.

I don't have the motherboard model# handy right now but these are
the earlier version of the MSI 6501 Dual AMD Athlon MP - the one
without onboard USB. They were supposed to be the newer one...
looks like our supplier pulled a fast one.

>> Have you verified that this problem this not occur with normal
>> kernels?

Don't know that I can verify that, but I haven't seen it happen.

>> If not, can you maybe can collect some details, using
>> DDB or otherwise?

I turned xdm off on one of them. Will see how stable it is without
it.