Subject: Re: MSI 6501 Dual AMD Athlon MP & 1.6 i386 MP kernel
To: MLH <MLH@goathill.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-smp
Date: 09/10/2002 15:58:58
On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 08:57:18PM +0000, MLH wrote:
> The only problems I have had with these are that the LM driver
> incorrectly calculates the cpu temperatures (port-i386/18205) and
> XF86 appears to be somewhat unstable. It appears to simply lock up
> the cpu it is running on - no core dump or anything. If XF86 locks
> up cpu1, cpu0 can still conveniently restart the machine, but if
> it is running on cpu0, the whole box appears to lock up. Is this
> consistent with known status?

It's actually the first time I've heard about such an XF86 problem
with the MP code. I'm running the MP code myself on my desktop
system (a dual Athlon, Tyan board), and am not seeing X problems.

Have you verified that this problem this not occur with normal
kernels? If not, can you maybe can collect some details, using
DDB or otherwise?

- Frank

--
Frank van der Linden                                    fvdl@wasabisystems.com