Subject: Re: Poor timekeeping on x86 smp branch?
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@attbi.com>
List: tech-smp
Date: 04/23/2002 15:16:30
In message <20020423190802.658427B4B@berkshire.research.att.com>, you write:

-> I have no idea if it's related or not, but I just recently realized
-> that my ntpd was becoming non-functional any time the local IP
-> addresses change, i.e., because of dhcp or pppd actions.  This was
-> especially a problem for my laptop.  I've just added "sh /etc/rc.d/ntpd
-> restart" to /etc/dhclient-exit-hooks (only for BOUND and REBOOT) and to
-> /etc/ppp-ip-up, to try to solve my machine's timekeeping problems.

This box is dhcp'd, but it has a fixed address, so that shouldn't be an
issue.  I *do* recall having this experience on my laptop, though, with
much the same workaround, IIRC.

I bet the reason if loses is it uses sockets bound to <interface-addr>.123,
so it's probably still sending packets from your old IP address 8-)

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@attbi.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill