Subject: boot failures with sommerfeld_i386_mp_1 branch
To: None <tech-smp@netbsd.org>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@mediaone.net>
List: tech-smp
Date: 01/14/2002 11:34:31
Folks:
	I've just upgraded my main development box from a 1x700mhz PIII
	to a 2x700Mhz PIII on a Tyan Patriot motherboard (based on Intel's
	BX chipset).

	I was able to boot the 12/04 kernel Christos put up on ftp.netbsd.org
	in /pub/NetBSD/misc/christos/ and everything seems to work there, but
	I am unable to boot a kernel built from sources.

	Here's what I tried, in order:
		(1) A fairly recent -current with sys/arch/i386 from Bill's
		    branch -- failed.

		(2) A complete checkout of syssrc from the date of the last
		    sync of the MP branch with sys/arch/i386 from the branch.
		    This also failed in the same way.

	I had some changes of my own in the tree, but the second try was with
	only one change: adding a #include <machine/cpu.h> to agp_machdep.c to
	get it to compile; other than that it was a cleanly check-out tree.

	The failure mode is that the machine simply reboots sometime after
	printing 'cpu0: 8 cache colors'.  It doesn't drop to DDB, just re-
	boots.  If I start the kernel with '-d', and set a breakpoint on
	cpu_attach, I avert the spontaneous reboot, but the second cpu fails
	to start up.  Note that the failure mode was the same for both of
	the above cases!

	I'm going to stick a serial console on the machine in the next day or
	two to figure out where it's dying with more precision, but thought I
	would ask here to see if this sounded familiar to people.

Thanks for any clue,
--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                   rafal@mediaone.net