Subject: softdep vs mp
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: tech-smp
Date: 12/16/2001 18:45:54
Michael Graff writes:
 > So, I can compile /usr/src using build.sh to make releases, but if I
 > do it more than twice in a row with softdep enabled, I get a crash
 > and/or lockup.  It appears that blocks are not being flushed to disk,
 > but it's hard to tell for certain what exactly is going on.
 >
 > With softdep off, I can build constantly (as long as /usr/src actually
 > builds due to lots of recent changes :)

A datapoint:

Due to a stupid mistake on my part (leftover old crud in mk.conf) I've
been running a lot of build.sh's over and over again, both last
weekend and this, on a -current mp kernel built at the start of the
respective weekend.

Although I wasn't building a full release (ie, sets), just a
distribution tree, I never once saw a problem like this, and I have
softdeps enabled.

So, perhaps the problem is in the part I wasn't doing (vnd for floppy
images?) or something more specific to your setup?

--
Dan.