Subject: Re: MP kernel still dead-on-arrival
To: Mark White <mjw@celos.net>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-smp
Date: 11/26/2001 12:53:28
Mark White <mjw@celos.net> writes:
> A while ago, I wrote:
> > My MP kernel still dies (the machine spontaneously resets)
> > during the bootup phase, at "cpu1: CPU 1 running".  Can
> > anybody suggest why?  The kernel config is below.
>
> I think I've now tracked down this problem to some nasty
> side effects of the clcs audio driver (my MB came with one
> built in).  One my my non-MP kernels produced a fault
> related to this driver, so I tried removing it from the MP
> kernel and lo and behold, it booted OK and has run fine so
> far.

I have all sorts of ugly problems with the clcs on a *non* MP kernel,
on my IBM T20 laptop. Often the driver spews uncontrollably during
autoconfig, preventing the system from booting, and I have occasional
problems with noise being introduced into sound play which booting
under windows and rebooting with NetBSD fixes. All of these point to
failures to initialize the chip properly at various points.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@wasabisystems.com