Subject: Re: Bootable on Tyan Thunder, but crashes during a kernel compile
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-smp
Date: 11/07/2001 13:42:08
On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 10:02:11PM -0800, Michael Graff wrote:
> While running the latest build of the i386 SMP kernel on my new
> dual Athelon XP 1800 Tyan Thunder system, I get a crash in
> something dealing with the gdt.  I can't get a core for some reason,
> and "trace" produces no traceback.

Which latest build is that?

When you say 'something dealing with the gdt', do you mean that
DDB reports and address of 'gdt_desc+blah' or something like that?
In that case you may have jumped to a NULL function pointer.

FWIW, I have a dual Athlon Tyan board, and the only problem I have
with it is a memory corruption problem when I start X, which
I still have not been able to track down.

Not using X, I can safely run builds with -j4 while hammering at it
as an NFS server.

- Frank

--
Frank van der Linden                           fvdl@wasabisystems.com