Subject: Multiple IO APICs?
To: None <>
From: Ben Harris <>
List: tech-smp
Date: 07/17/2001 19:06:32
Long, long ago, Bill Sommerfeld wrote (regarding his i386 MP test

> Test cases I'm interested in:
>         - more than 1 I/O APIC.

Has anyone tested this?  I note that a search of the mailing list archives
for "ioapic1" comes up blank.  I ask because at work we've just obtained a
machine that Linux reports as having two IO APICs, and I can probably get
away with booting NetBSD on it briefly if that would be useful.  I tried
to boot last February's test floppies, and got a panic from UVM somewhere
before the APICs were detected.  Is there a more recent set of MP floppies
I can try booting?

FWIW, the machine has an Intel server board, and Linux says (amongst an
awful lot of other stuff):

Intel MultiProcessor Specification v1.4
    Virtual Wire compatibility mode.
OEM ID: INTEL    Product ID: STL2         APIC at: 0xFEE00000
Processor #3 Pentium(tm) Pro APIC version 17
Processor #0 Pentium(tm) Pro APIC version 17
Bus #0 is PCI
Bus #1 is PCI
Bus #2 is ISA
I/O APIC #4 Version 17 at 0xFEC00000.
I/O APIC #5 Version 17 at 0xFEC01000.

Portmaster, NetBSD/arm26               <URL:>