Subject: Re: 2nd round of i386 + MP test kernels now available.
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@netbsd.org>
From: Roger Brooks <R.S.Brooks@liverpool.ac.uk>
List: tech-smp
Date: 03/01/2000 00:10:53
Another one which didn't quite make it...

Dave Tyson and I tried the 2nd version on a machine with an Intel dual
pentium motherboard (unable to see the motherboard model number, but the
BIOS says

    Intel N440BX 2 x Pentium II 450 Mhz

The motherboard has integrated video, ethernet and dual Symbios 53C875
SCSI (one wide, one narrow).
There is also a PCI Adaptec SCSI controller (ahc).

This machine normally runs Solaris 2.7 (and SMP works).

The systems boots, probes the secondary processor and the ioapic.
It probes most of the devices, but hangs while scanning the SCSI
devices on ncr1 (which I think is the narrow SCSI):

    ncr1 timeout ccb=<soemthing> (skip)

We got similar results with version 1 last Friday (except that there seemed to
be timeouts scanning the SCSI bus on the ahc controller as well).

We think that either the IRQs aren't getting wired correctly, or the
on-board 53C875 is slightly warped.  Unfortunately the ioapic configuration
scrolls off the screen before we have chance to read it.  If you'd like
to bake some floppies WITHOUT the ncr driver, we could see if that will
come up to a shell prompt.

Roger

Roger Brooks (Systems Programmer),          |  Email: R.S.Brooks@liv.ac.uk
Computing Services Dept,                    |  Tel:   +44 151 794 4441
The University of Liverpool,                |  Fax:   +44 151 794 4442
PO Box 147, Liverpool L69 3BX, UK           |