Subject: Re: Is this book worth getting?
To: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: tech-smp
Date: 07/14/1999 19:47:39
On Wed, 14 Jul 1999 14:19:01 +0930 (CST)  Brett Lymn wrote:

> Unix Systems for Modern Architectures: Symmetric Multiprocessing and
> Caching for Kernel Programmers by Curt Schimmel, ISBN: 0201633388.
>
> It _sounds_ like a cool book not just for SMP on NetBSD but also for
> my work.  Has anyone got this book or know if it lives up to the
> glowing reviews given by 3 anonymous persons?  It does look like a
> legitimate professional library tax deduction item to me :-)

I like it -- it is well written and seems to cover the material well.
It lives on my bookshelf at work and I refer to it from time to time.

Probably useful for NetBSD, but I don't know about your work. :-)

If you're looking at modern Unix books Vahalia's "Unix Internals: the
New Frontiers" is quite nice too, although I'm told Solaris has moved
on a bit and some of what he describes is out of date.

On the other hand I loath "The Magic Garden" -- quite unreadable and
inflicted needlessly with an utterly horrible typeface.  I refer to it
only out of desperation!

Regards,

Giles