Re: Fonts for console/fb for various locales: a proposal

On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 11:01:51AM +0200, tlaronde%polynum.com@localhost wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 10:32:40AM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> > I guess noone would object a metafont2wsfont converter tool.
> > Look at the true type tool Michael mentioned in xsrc/local and do something
> > similar for metafont.
>
> I have already planed to re-start with the Hershey fonts, for reasons
> explained in my initial mail and for others and this will be combined
> with TeX (kerTeX). So there will probably be something in this
> line, at the end, even if it is only for my own use.

Sorry for late comment but I would like to suggest mlterm-fb as
- probably - easiest solution for Your case (if I understood problem
correctly, of course). mlterm running in framebuffer console is
capable to use wide range of standard X fonts[1] without hassle.

If You want to convert fonts to wsfont You may take a look at some
additional resources. In addition to already mentioned there is also
my small tool[2], created for my own work for bitmap terminus fonts
(see [3] for gallery) - it isn't useful for converting vectors, but
may provide a hints about your own methods of mapping from UTF codes
or Adobe names to particular code pages (wide range of definitions is
provided by original terminus package, for my case I made only one,
for cp437).

1 - https://www.mail-archive.com/netbsd-users%netbsd.org@localhost/msg10136.html
2 - https://github.com/aniou/bdf2wsfont
3 - http://smutek.pl/netbsd/wsfont/terminus/