Re: Disable SSLv3 and set cipher list for bozohttpd

Le 2015-12-10 02:55, Thor Lancelot Simon a écrit :
On Wed, Dec 09, 2015 at 08:33:35PM -0500, tr%vispaul.me@localhost wrote:

>Le 2015-12-08 21:58, christos%astron.com@localhost a ??crit??:
>>Why not supply the ! list (the ones you want to remove)... It is shorter
>>and easier to understand and maintain...

I agree, much simpler!

I don't. Opinions may differ, but I am not a fan of this particular kind
of "algorithm agility".

Pick a small set of ciphersuites, chosen for backwards compatibility with peers that do only the minimum the standards mandate as a first criterion, and the consensus of experts about the best current and future alternatives, and forget the rest. Often all they can buy you is confusion and trouble.

I would like to see, at most, four ciphersuites supported by default.

Ouchie, to be widely accepted by most SSL stacks this is an achievement. This reduces the set of algos the clients might select, which could be arguably "better/faster/stronger".

You at least have to support ECDSA and RSA given that ECDSA is far from being usable everywhere, so that leaves two ciphersuites left to chose.

FWIW Apple enforces those for app transport security (not saying the same path should be taken, but still interesting); ECDHE requires TLS 1.2 if I am not mistaken, which rules out quite a few clients out there [1]

    TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384
    TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256
    TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA384
    TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA
    TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA256
    TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA
    TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384
    TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256
    TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA384
    TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA256
    TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA

And there are still DHE with 1024+ keys, poly1305/chacha20, and SHA3 which will probably end up as an alternative for the various HMACs that uses SHA1 or SHA2.

[1] https://dev.ssllabs.com/ssltest/clients.html

--
Jean-Yves Migeon