RE: const time authentication in bozohttpd

Here's how it's typically done.

Choose a time (say one second) (call this delta_t).  Get the system clock
before you start authentication (call this t_mark). After any failure on the
authentication path, delay responding until t_now >=  t_mark+delta_t.  (The
overflow-safe way to compute this (t_now - t_mark >= delta_t).

You can delay by CPU spins, or by using one of the apis that let you yield
the CPU.  If you're spinning, and 1-second granularity is acceptable, you
can just use the time(3) function, as long as delta is 2 or greater.  (I
wouldn't use a delta of one with any time-dleay algorithm because you're
generally only guaranteed that the delay will be in the range (n-1, n)
units.)

Delaying the response to an authentication failure also slows down some
brute-force attacks -- those which don't try to do things in parallel with
multiple connections.

Best regards,
--Terry