Re: cgd (encrypted disk) support in bootblocks (Was: summer of code - scrub feature)

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009, Todd Vierling wrote:

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 4:42 AM, David Brownlee <abs%netbsd.org@localhost>
wrote:
       A SoC project to add cgd support to the bootblocks and code to
       pass across to the kernel could be very worthwhile...

/me perks up and peers out from his cubicley jail lined with systems
unfortunately not running nbsd....

There's a reason every single one of my Windoze systems use TrueCrypt
system drive level encryption.  Not one sector hits the disk without
going through at least an AES-Twofish cascade.

        Very reasonable approach - our Windows laptops are all
        setup similarly. Its very simple to switch a existing
        Windows box across to truecrypt, and from the user's
        perspective after that they just have a passphrase to type
        before they boot.

        Converting a running system to an encryped filesystem without
        requiring a dump/restore is a very nice additional feature, but
        I think NetBSD would really benefit from 'just' the cgd support
        in the bootblocks and passing the relevant data across to the
        kernel so it can get a cgd encrypted root filesystem...

        Now... where could we find someone willing to at least mentor
        such a project, if not take it on as a student? :)