Re: BSD Auth

On 18-Aug-08, at 7:50 AM, markucz%gmail.com@localhost wrote:

Straight to the point: is there a way to use BSD Auth with NetBSD?

One can try porting the BSD Auth code from OpenBSD. I have not yet tried that myself.

In 4.0 one
can't do without PAM.

Perhaps not without building yourself from source.  :-)

However I seem to be doing fine without PAM in my netbsd-4 systems.

I use the following settings in my mk.conf (plus there should be some changes to some makefiles and to the sets lists, but I haven't got around to them yet):

        MKPAM =         no
        USE_PAM =       no

I've lived happily without it so far. I don't mind
having it in base, I'm just curious whether it's possible to replace its functionality by BSD Auth. I managed to find some code written in 2003 [1], and now I'm examining it to see what can be done with it and if it can be
somehow integrated alongside with PAM.

I'm not sure it would make sense to have them integrated together into the same system. In my estimation they can't really both be there in the same build (certainly not for anyone who wants the full and guaranteed privilege separation offered by BSD Auth), and with a compile-time option the non-default one is sure to bitrot. Previous discussions resulted in nothing really and PAM was blasted into the tree without taking into account any technical considerations. Lame excuses were given that somehow BSD Auth could be implemented as a PAM module after PAM was fully integrated, but of course that blows one of the main benefits of BSD Auth right out of the picture (true guaranteed privilege separation).

Personally I think since OpenPAM is already well supported as a stand- alone project it should be they who provide an optional patch to apply to NetBSD for those system integrators who wish to offer PAM instead of BSD Auth. :-)

--
                                        Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc.
                                        <woods%planix.ca@localhost>