Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/sys
To: Elad Efrat <e@murder.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 06/24/2007 12:46:38
On Jun 24,  7:05pm, e@murder.org (Elad Efrat) wrote:

| that's exactly what I'm saying: it's there since forever. I don't recall
| anyone coming up and saying that it's so painful and kauth should be
| adjusted to support more than 16 groups.
|
| if that were the case, do you think that (1) kauth would not address it
| since day 1 and (2) I would have ignored it completely for the year+
| kauth has been in the tree?

The only reason the 16 group limit was brought up is because dsl's new
functions hide it inside kauth, whereas before it was exposed. Since the
limit is not visible anymore, it is conceivable that it will be easier
to remove the limit in the future.

| and, I'm asking again: why didn't the changes in question go up for
| public discussion? and assuming they would have, what do you think would
| be the consensus?

Because this is not a perfect world. In retrospect they should have. It
is not like we post every diff in tech-* before it gets committed. This
is why we have source-changes; to review the commits and catch issues
like this one and fix them.

christos