Subject: req: logging core dumps automatically as security-relevant data
To: None <tech-security@netbsd.org>
From: Travis H. <travis+ml-tech-security-netbsd@subspacefield.org>
List: tech-security
Date: 01/22/2007 02:09:07
--kbCYTQG2MZjuOjyn

I know there's been some discussion previoisly about where core files
(especially for SUID programs) should go.  I really liked the idea of
being able to quarantine them somewhere other than their cwd; too
often that jumbles up things, and could lead to further problems,
like is a SUID program working on authentication data dumped core
inside a directory in a web DocumentRoot that was open to the public.

To the end user and most sysadmins, core files are an annoyance,
akin to file system litter, and they rarely get analyzed.

Apart from that, I think that the knowledge of what programs are
segfaulting, in what directories and for what users would be a
great way to identify if someone is testing SGUID programs for
vulernabilities, or to outright exploit them.  The harder this is,
the more noise they make, so the better our detection can work here.
We can probably even figure out exactly what they were doing,
which could lead to whitehats learning about a new technique
before it is publicly discussed.

Also, it will increase the "noise" of the exploitation, especially
with address space layout randomization.  The kind of people who
work out an exploit on a system live don't particularly like drawing
attention to themselves...

Another neat trick would be to give the cores (corpses) very confusing
contents; perhaps some binary stuff that looks like code, with heap
and stack pages partially corrupted and swapped about, and missing
chunks from the .text segment, and with the shared libraries remapped
to new addresses just for fun.  Oh yeah, don't forget to load all
the saved registers with random data (or taken from another part
of the image).  That would be kind of a fun project, actually :-)
--=20
``Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.''
-- Albert Einstein -><- <URL:http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/>

--kbCYTQG2MZjuOjyn

--kbCYTQG2MZjuOjyn--