Subject: Upcoming security model abstraction
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Elad Efrat <elad@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-security
Date: 08/25/2006 01:42:46
Hi,

Recently I've been working on abstracting NetBSD's security model
to its own set of kauth(9) listeners. There's code for the listeners,
as well as initial diff for replacing the KAUTH_GENERIC_ISSUSER
requests with something more specific.

Due to it being spread across multiple files and quite big in size, I've
placed it all online:

	http://www.bsd.org.il/netbsd/secmodel/

The idea is that we'll have a new directory under src/sys, called
'secmodel'. Each security model we ship (for now there are no plans to
ship anything other than the one we have now, don't worry :) will be
under its own directory. The default one is called "bsd44".

The files suser.[ch] and securelevel.[ch] implement the superuser
and securelevel implications, respectively. You can see how easy it is
to inspect the model -- it's all centralized in one easy to read file.

Some questions that you may have:
Q: What are the implications of this change for normal users?