Subject: Re: CBC and LRW?
To: Jan Danielsson <jan.danielsson@gmail.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-security
Date: 07/26/2006 11:22:49
On Tue, 25 Jul 2006, Jan Danielsson wrote:

>   As far as I can tell, NetBSD's cgd only uses cbc. Should it support LRW?
>
>   I don't actually understand what CBC vs LRW that means, though. But
> I'm going to assume that the TrueCrypt people do.

The main difference appears to be better deniability: someone who can
convince you to store a specially crafted file on your encrypted disk
can then, given just the encrypted disk, prove that the file is stored
there.

And yes, cgd should be supporting this, though I wouldn't say it's
critically urgent. Still, getting it in sooner rather than later, (and
getting it ported back into a 3.x release) would be a good thing in that
it would help cgd maintain its reputation as one of the very best disk
encryption systems out there.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson            <cjs@cynic.net>             +81 90 7737 2974
   by those who have not got it.    --George Bernard Shaw