Subject: Re: Integrating securelevel and kauth(9)
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 03/25/2006 16:59:36
Peter Seebach wrote:
> In message <87u09mbyc8.fsf@phi.internal.fnop.net>, Rui Paulo writes:
>
>> jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu writes:
>>
>>> Tee, hee. Garrett, you really are new here, aren't you?
>>>

>> Johnatan, please don't treat newcommers this way. If you have the
>> minimal emotional inteligence, you'll understand why.
>>

> Just a thought, here:
>
> This is insulting.  Furthermore, on a list with a high hacker population,
> it's quite likely that we have a number of people who won't understand why.
>
> IF YOU KNOW THE ANSWER, JUST SAY IT.

As the "target" for this particular comment, I want to state that I have
not taken offense, but only because even being new, I've learned that
certain individuals don't seem to avoid making relevant comments without
them degenerating into personal attacks.  So I apply the appropriate
filters.  In this particular case, there was a good and legitimate
objection to my original premise carried along with the the derisive
comment.  So I just separated the wheat from the chaff.  :-)

Being new, its amazing that I've already picked up on this after just a
couple of months.  Maybe that should be a signal to certain individuals
that there are certain trends, and maybe some form of corrective action
might be worthwhile.

By the way, if folks find *my* messages offensive, please *tell me*, but
also tell me *why*, so I can decide what corrective action is
appropriate, if any.  I would far rather have my comments/e-mail judged
on their own merits than having them prejudiced against because folks
view me as being regularly offensive, ignorant, or just plain stupid.  :-)

Likewise, if you just disagree with me, or if you believe I have my
facts screwed up, tell me why, but please try to keep it non-personal
and focused on the topic at hand.  A rational explanation or criticism
is much more likely to to be taken seriously by me than derisive
comments.  I can't speak for anyone except myself, but I *suspect* I'm
not unique in this regard.

General Dynamics C4 Systems
http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/
Phone: 951 325-2134  Fax: 951 325-2191