Subject: Re: Hardware RNG support for EM64T systems
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org, tech-security@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk>
List: tech-security
Date: 02/19/2006 08:45:45
On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 06:33:06AM +0000, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> The only way to know for sure that the RNG is actually there is to get
> the full part number off every chip in the chipset and,

1.) The code only looks for the chip when the system has an Intel chipset
    whose firmware hub contains the hardware RNG.
2.) The code *is* able to tell whether the chip is there or not. It never
    erroneously detected the hardware RNG on my P4B266 motherboard which
    used an Intel i845D chipset without the firmware hub.

So the only question is whether the code works under NetBSD-amd64, too,
which is exactly what I was asking for.

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/