Subject: Re: Importing PaX features to NetBSD
To: James Chacon <jmc@NetBSD.org>
From: Elad Efrat <elad@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-security
Date: 12/18/2005 12:55:18
Hi,

Even though you ignored #2 that says we already done this...

James Chacon wrote:

> In general we don't count the number of users of a given arch before
> looking at a feature and it's costs. Things need to fit into a cross
> architecture framework that don't negatively impact other archs.

Some things, like the NX bit for example, are MD. Do you think we should
not provide a security feature because we can't provide it for all
architectures?

> If you want that, there are other *BSD distributions aimed at "best
> performance for the x86 arch" or other such goals...

Again: it should be the end-user's choice what security features to
use, and it should be NetBSD's goal to take full advantage of the
features offered to us by the hardware.

-e.

--
Elad Efrat