Subject: need for end*ent()?
To: None <tech-security@netbsd.org>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: tech-security
Date: 09/13/2005 22:29:05
     I am working on libwrap to remove a reference to getgrnam().
Immediately after the use of getgrnam(), it calls endgrent() (there is
also a call to endpwent()).  I'm considering removing these in order to
reduce possible side effects on applications using the library.
However, I'm wondering if they should be left to ensure database
updates are seen in long running daemons as per this paragraph in the
manpage:

     It is dangerous for long-running programs to keep the file descriptors
     open as the database will become out of date if it is updated while the
     program is running.

Does anybody else have any thoughts on this issue?