Subject: Re: bpg request for comments
To: Manuel Freire <droggo@gmail.com>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: tech-security
Date: 07/21/2005 20:31:09
In message <42DAF0EC.9010906@gmail.com>, Manuel Freire writes:
>Hello,
>
>I'm developing the application bpg, a BSD-licensed privacy guard, within
>the Google's Summer of Code. As I told you in a previous message, I'd
>like to discuss in this list our opinions about the best way to afford
>the different stages of the project.

Two things.

First, I suspect that there's some necessity to keep the (seriously
ugly) gpg command line interface.  It's ugly, it's complex, it's
impossible to figure out what options to use to do simple things.  I'd
very much prefer a set of much-simpler commands, with the
gpg-compatible commands just as wrappers around the underlying
better-designed primitives.

Second, have a look at http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb/papers/new-hash.ps
(or .pdf).  In particular, see Section 4 and especially the advice in
4.1.1 and 4.2 on implementation behavior.  You can't change the
protocol; you can make sure your implementation behaves properly.