Subject: Re: Regarding the use of pam_ssh
To: Jeremy C. Reed <>
From: Jim Wise <>
List: tech-security
Date: 03/01/2005 22:41:20

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Jason Thorpe wrote:
>> > people don't use remote xdm anymore?  i haven't for a few years but
>> > in the past i did so heavily...
>> I think it exists, but I think X terminals are a lot less common than
>> they used to be.
>They appear to be very commonly used for LTSP (Linux Terminal Server
>Project) and similar. I have used it a few times and set it up for a
>library with 16 workstations.

This is also a pretty common way to work in Windows X Server
environments -- user starts Hummingbird Exceed (or newer cygwin) X
server, does an XDMCP broadcast, and finds himself (transparently in his
view) logging in to one of N allegedly identical systems over in the
server room.

Pretty or not, I can think of at least a couple shops where things are
done this way, including the shop I'm at now.

- --
				Jim Wise
Version: GnuPG v1.4.0 (NetBSD)