Subject: cgd randomkey at start
To: None <>
From: Christian Weniger <>
List: tech-security
Date: 03/01/2005 17:24:18

i just want to encrypt (using cgd) my swap partition and the /tmp
partion with a randomkey at startup. My problem is that /dev/random is
empty at startup and so cgd hangs and can't generate a randomkey until
i help and generate random data by typing on the keyboard. That's not a
solution because i'm going to use the computer without a keyboard.

So how can i genrate random data without sitting in fornt of the pc?
Or can i use /dev/urandom for the randomkey? (i found a 2 year old mail
with the same
  - but it seems that there is no option "urandomkey" today).

regards Christian

DSL Komplett von GMX +++ SupergŁnstig und stressfrei einsteigen!
AKTION "Kein Einrichtungspreis" nutzen: