Subject: Re: really really obsolete etc/moduli in NetBSD
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: tech-security
Date: 01/15/2005 18:45:43
In message <20050115232004.GA11263@panix.com>, Thor Lancelot Simon writes:

>Steve Bellovin was polite enough to explain the actual underlying issue
>without any of the gasoline

Over 20 years ago, when I first started at Bell Labs, the head of the
lab I was in welcomed me by saying "I've seen your flames on
netnews".  This was pre-Google, pre-Alta Vista -- in fact, it was back
when the net was flat.  There was a lesson there...

Anyway -- I hit "send" too soon.  I do think that the code Bill
contributed as part of 21983 (or something like it) should be
part of the base system -- it isn't unreasonable to change moduli
now and then, but one needs a good tool to do so.

If people would prefer that it be in pkgsrc, that works for me as well,
though Bill's PR noted that there's no "home maintainer".

		--Prof. Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb