Subject: Re: ICMP attacks against TCP
To: Mipam <>
From: Fernando Gont <>
List: tech-security
Date: 12/10/2004 12:40:10
At 12:42 10/12/2004 +0100, Mipam wrote:

> > Not sure what you mean by "Cisco-patented window-checks". If you mean that
> > of checking the TCP sequence number in the ICMP payload, then that's not
> > patented by Cisco. I had received a notification from Cisco's lawyer
> when I
> > published the first version of my draft, saying that they had a pending
> > patent on it.
>I guess he means this:
>(statement by Robert Barr from Cisco about the license)

If so, that's completely unrelated to my draft. The counter-measures
proposed in that draft don't have to do with TCP sequence number checking,
as TCP seq number checking is mandated by RFC 793 when you process TCP

>The draft itself is here:
>Though, the page cannot be found now anymore ...???
>I guess the ietf moved the page somewhere else, i can't find it now.

No, it's just that the draft was updated. Use the "Search I-D" link in and search for "draft-ietf-tcp-secure" . Or visit
the TCPM WG web page at . (That's another reason why I
keep my drafts at a personal web site, BTW).

Kindest regards,

Fernando Gont
e-mail: ||