Subject: Re: Preventative security features?
To: Dmitri Nikulin <setagllib@optusnet.com.au>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-security
Date: 11/15/2004 13:24:24
On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 10:51:11PM +1100, Dmitri Nikulin wrote:
> If they object to it, turn it off. I don't see why implementing a
> potentially life-saving feature that can be used to invade privacy (what
> work would users have to hide anyway?) is really such a problem.

It is against the law here in some situations (users working for a company
have certain rights, even on work machines).

Furthermore it is a very sincere security problem if I'm a user and not
at the same time the only one with root access. I can't use any passwords
or public keys on such a machine.

I know this could be a kernel option and kernels with this option could
note this prominently in uname (just an example) - I wanted to point
out that this is a very sharp two sided sword. Be carefull with that axe,
Eugene!

Martin