Subject: Re: Preventative security features?
To: None <hockey@dialectronics.com>
From: Havard Eidnes <he@uninett.no>
List: tech-security
Date: 11/14/2004 15:06:01
Hi Tim,

> I actually didn't run into the problem in sysinst - I ran into it
> building -current userland.

OK, than I think PR#22508 doesn't describe the same problem as the one
you are experiencing -- the PR clearly says "sysinst fails".

The problem you are having appears to be that if you want to use the
system as a development platform and don't create a separate /tmp (use
the default partitioning setup in sysinst), the amount of free space
in the default sized root file systme is too small to allow the system
to build itself.

Is that accurate?

I think the current situation with sysinst is that it suggests the
absolute minimum sized partitions.  This does not take into account
any extraordinary needs, such as using it as a development system.
Currently, the user installing a system which needs to to cater for
particular needs must use his own experience when deciding on the
partitioning.  Perhaps introducing "partition themes" (multiple
selectable defaults) will make it easier for a novice user to get
started with a partitioning scheme which later will not turn out to
cause unforeseen problems.

Regards,

- H=E5vard