Subject: Re: Preventative security features?
To: Dmitri Nikulin <setagllib@optusnet.com.au>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
List: tech-security
Date: 11/13/2004 07:55:32
--Apple-Mail-47--352434897

On Nov 13, 2004, at 1:23 AM, Dmitri Nikulin wrote:

> Maybe just not enough, then :)
> Is this fed from the high-quality random source? nmap didn't give up
> all hope on it.

I seem to recall that there was a paper published that mathematically
analyzed the TCP ISS randomization of a few OSs, and that NetBSD's
method was given high praise.

NetBSD also has the option to enable RFC-1948 for TCP ISS generation.

> On a related note, on my old Intel i815 chipset which has a hardware
> RNG, NetBSD says it enables it at boot, but what does it do from
> there? Does this get read from into the system's entropy pool or what?

Yes, it is fed into the system entropy pool.

        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>

--Apple-Mail-47--352434897
	name=PGP.sig
content-transfer-encoding: 7bit