Subject: Re: overfilling mfs partitions over 600M cause kernel panics?
To: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
From: Hernani Marques Madeira <hernani@vecirex.net>
List: tech-security
Date: 11/12/2004 13:06:03
On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 10:15:12PM -0500, Tim Kelly wrote:

> I'm posting here because it's been pointed out to me that if a
> server is using a large mfs as /tmp, it might be possible for any user
> that can download files in a web browser (like PDFs) to cause the above
> kernel panic. This seems like a good forum for finding people willing to
> test this on different archs (macppc -current kernel, RC4 userland for
> me does this). I've tried 300M and below and I get file system full
> errors, but 600M and higher cause kernel panics. I haven't pinpointed
> the exact number, but I didn't figure that all that important.

I tried it on a i686 lap that only has 256 MB of RAM with a 600 MB mfs
mounted at /mfs.

I did it based on 2.99.10 sources from the 25th of October, kernel+userland.

The only messages I got were such:
/netbsd: UVM: pid 5443 (xearth), uid 1000 killed: out of swap
/netbsd: UVM: pid 9583 (mozilla-bin), uid 1000 killed: out of swap
/netbsd: UVM: pid 21325 (XFree86), uid 0 killed: out of swap

and some other messages from userland that said that no more memory
could be allocated what resulted in /mfs not getting further filled.

But it did not hang.

--
hernani