Subject: Re: Non executable mappings and compatibility options bugs
To: Erik E. Fair <>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <>
List: tech-security
Date: 06/26/2004 10:42:55
Erik E. Fair wrote:
> The point is to make sure that the user understands the risks
> they're running. We now have a new statement to make:
> The main thing I think we're disagreeing about is how loudly to
> say this.

I think this should be sysctl per emulation, and default to
off (i.e. non-exec stack). The compat_*(8) manpages would
then contain appropriate pointers how to enable it.

Did anyone try to run e.g. Linux binaries with the non-exec
stack on?

Jaromir Dolecek <>
-=- We should be mindful of the potential goal, but as the Buddhist -=-
-=- masters say, ``You may notice during meditation that you        -=-
-=- sometimes levitate or glow.   Do not let this distract you.''   -=-