Subject: Re: adding gpg to src/gnu/dist
To: None <tech-security@NetBSD.org, tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: Marc Tooley <netbsdMLpostNO@SPAM.quake.ca>
List: tech-security
Date: 05/17/2004 09:43:34
On Friday 14 May 2004 14:21, Jan Schaumann wrote:
> Love <lha@stacken.kth.se> wrote:
> > Come on, porting nbsvtool, less then 400 lines of code, is hardly
> > an issue. OpenSSL might be harder, but I would think it runs on all
> > platforms pkgsrc supports.
>
> If you add nbsvtool to pkgsrc, I'm sure it'll quickly be made to work
> on all supported platforms (possibly with the help of libnbcompat).
>
> -Jan

... which is precisely my point. "On supported platforms." gnupg and
other pgp-like software have a far wider distribution than that tool
ever will. We'd be requiring two tools when all that's needed is just
one.

And pkgsrc is quite an onerous requirement just to get nbsvtool going
"properly."

Am I missing something here? Is this a political decision and I'm just
mistaking it for a technical one?