Subject: Re: adding gpg to src/gnu/dist
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Jon Buller <jon@ra.bullers.net>
List: tech-security
Date: 05/14/2004 17:01:57
Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

> On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 12:58:57PM -0700, Marc Tooley wrote:
> > On Friday 14 May 2004 12:18, Love wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm sure they can run
> > >
> > > 	$ nbsvtool verify binary_pkg.sp7 && echo woohoo everything ok
> > > 	woohoo everything ok
> > >
> > > especially when its inside pkg_add so they don't need to run it at
> > > all themself.
> > >
> > > Love
> >
> > ... which can't be used on other platforms where nbsvtool hasn't been
> > ported or doesn't exist; the ubiquity of GnuPG in this case means that
>
> Uh, it's pretty hard to install packages on a system where pkg_add
> "hasn't been ported or doesn't exist", isn't it?

Unless I have (for the sake of a really sick example) a windows
box with internet connectivity, and want to pull packages onto that
box, verify them, and move them off (by sneakernet) to the "N"
boxes where they are actually getting installed.

Is anyone ever going to want to do something that lame?

Jon