Subject: Re: adding gpg to src/gnu/dist
To: None <tech-security@NetBSD.org, tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: Marc Tooley <netbsdMLpostNO@SPAM.quake.ca>
List: tech-security
Date: 05/14/2004 12:58:57
On Friday 14 May 2004 12:18, Love wrote:
> Marc Tooley <netbsdMLpostNO@SPAM.quake.ca> writes:
> > Our common users, on the other hand, are probably not even
> > aware that openssl can be used in a package-authenticating manner,
> > let alone how to invoke or interpret the necessary commands.
>
> I'm sure they can run
>
> 	$ nbsvtool verify binary_pkg.sp7 && echo woohoo everything ok
> 	woohoo everything ok
>
> especially when its inside pkg_add so they don't need to run it at
> all themself.
>
> Love

... which can't be used on other platforms where nbsvtool hasn't been
ported or doesn't exist; the ubiquity of GnuPG in this case means that
people on other systems don't have to fight with the porting and
installation of a non-standard package that wouldn't be used for
anything but NetBSD system distribution.