Subject: Re: adding gpg to src/gnu/dist
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
From: Love <lha@stacken.kth.se>
List: tech-security
Date: 05/14/2004 13:59:10
--=-=-=

"Simon J. Gerraty" <sjg@crufty.net> writes:

>>In my work, I have used the "openssl smime *" commands, rather than
>>working with the keys and formats quite so directly.  There are
>>several other reasons for this, but the major one is that it handles
>>all of the container cert chain and encoding issues you discuss for
>>you.  It's been appropriate for my needs so far, but might be less
>>directly applicable for this discussion (more below).
>
> Yes, smime was one option that we considered, but it seemed to be very
> particular about the format of its input and the resulting signatures
> end up being very bulky.  Of course I may have just been using it
> wrong - at first blush it sounded good.

The stuff SMIME uses, CMS (RFC3369) (used to PKCS#7) is not really bulky if
if you don't include certifictes inside the data, and you can get it even
less bulky if you use the right SignerIdentifier.

$ openssl smime -sign -noattr -nochain -nocerts [...]
$ ls -l nbsvtool.c.sig
-rw-r--r--  1 lha  wheel  457 May 14 13:56 nbsvtool.c.sig
$ openssl smime -sign -noattr [....]
$ ls -l nbsvtool.c.sig
-rw-r--r--  1 lha  wheel  7355 May 14 13:57 nbsvtool.c.sig

But then, I think we should include certifictes, it makes the sigature
free-standing.

Love

--=-=-=

--=-=-=--