Subject: Re: static linking for NetBSD
To: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: tech-security
Date: 09/16/2003 14:27:03
On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 11:11:47PM -0400, Michael Richardson wrote:

>   I give this example metaphorically :-)

 :)

>   But, we still share code with them: X, KDE, GNOME. At least they were
> optional. That's why I don't want PAM in my /bin/login. I don't want to
> share that incompetence!

Ah - now we get to implementation issues...I cannot recall if the
proposed PAM implementation was an import of other code or a NetBSD
specific implementation.  Rejecting PAM out of hand because other
implementations suck (versus the API/specification) is not really
valid.

>   The fact that I don't need it for anything I do, while BSD auth provides
> some things that I've found useful also sways me.

Having no personal interest in any of the approaches it seems to me
that _if_ BSD auth can be layered over the top of PAM then we will
have a good thing.  We cannot ignore the direction most other vendors
are going because we will just be left as a lone voice in the
wilderness... another reason not to use NetBSD, something we must
avoid.

--
Brett Lymn