Subject: Re: BSD auth for NetBSD
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 09/15/2003 16:04:23
[ On Monday, September 15, 2003 at 08:09:56 (-0700), Jason Thorpe wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: BSD auth for NetBSD
>
> Then you must be saying that your "shim" API is actually the PAM API or
> the BSD Auth API.  Sorry, that simply wasn't clear (to me, at least) in
> any of your previous messages on the subject.

Not "or" -- "and".  Sorry I wasn't more clear about this -- I've been
trying very hard to be very explicit about exactly what I mean in order
to try to avoid this very type of misunderstanding.  Yes it means you
have to read more words but every time I write fewer words people fill
in on their own and more often than not put the wrong words in my mouth.

> If that is the case, then the obvious choice is the PAM API, since it
> is supported by more applications (last time I checked, anyway).

No, that's not the "obvious choice" -- you seem to have ignored all the
reasons I and others have given for wanting not just the BSD Auth
framework but also the client API it provides.

--
						Greg A. Woods