Subject: Re: BSD auth for NetBSD
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 09/12/2003 19:37:57
Thus spake Jason Thorpe ("JT> ") sometime Today...

JT> On Friday, September 12, 2003, at 06:37  PM, Greg A. Woods wrote:
JT>
JT> > First off, how in heck can anything I, Peter, or anyone else have said
JT> > possibly ever prevent someone from using PAM!?!?!?!?  Do we somehow
JT> > have
JT>
JT> Ok, my wording was poor.  My point is, if the people who want BSD Auth
JT> "win", then people who want to use PAM "lose", because PAM cannot be
JT> implemented using BSD Auth as the back-end.

I think the concept is being missed.  What is desired is not that either
side "win", as in "if PAM goes in, then BSD Auth doesn't" (or vice versa),
but rather that there is a choice as to which the person doing the
administration of the system in question might use.

If we can stop viewing this as a one-vs.-the-other, or a win-lose situation,
we might get somewhere.  As long as it IS a one-vs.-the-other situation,
nobody is going to come out of it truly happy.

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: May the Source be with you.