Subject: extending chroot()
To: None <tech-security@netbsd.org>
From: Steve Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 01/16/2003 16:08:57
I'd like to be able to "jail" various untrusted applications, such as
my netbrowser.  Chroot() is the obvious choice, but it requires root
privileges.  However -- supposed we changed chroot() so that it didn't
require root, but if executed by a non-root process, setuid and setgid
would not be honored.  More precisely, we change the code in
exec_script and kern_exec that checks the setuid/setgid bits; if
cwdi_rdir is non-null, don't honor those bits.

Comments?  (I wish that socket() went through the file system, so that
I could restrict network access that way, too.)