Subject: Troubles updating through CVS for recent security advisories (xs4)
To: NetBSD-users list <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Rogier Krieger <rogier@virgiel.nl>
List: tech-security
Date: 10/09/2002 20:16:13
Hi everyone,

trying to upgrade my 1.6 box (i386) for a few recent security
advisories (2002/19, 21, 22 and 23), I came accross a few problems.
It seems everything now works, but I'd still like to check.

It might be a good thing to, if this procedure is indeed the correct
one, put this on some manual or documentation page. Perhaps it is my
lack of expertise, but it might help others trying to follow up on
security advisories. It took me quite some digging to get to the
first three. Did I miss anything overly obvious? Need I add
more items before I can succesfully process all patches?

1. Obtain sources through CVS (using ssh):
	CVSROOT	anoncvs@anoncvs.netbsd.org:/cvsroot
	CVS_RSH	ssh

	cd /usr
	cvs checkout -r netbsd-1-6 -PA src

2. Make the object directories
	mkdir /usr/obj
	make obj

3. Prepare the toolchain
	cd /usr/src
	./build.sh -t

4. Apply the instructions (updating CVS parts and make'ing them)

In the advisories, I couldn't find a link to the initial three
instructions. Need anything more be done to succesfully apply the
advisory instructions? Updating talkd and rogue (from 2002/19 and 20)
worked fine after building the toolchain, but I had problems with pic
and smrsh. They both claimed to miss files, altough I explicitly did
a [ make cleandir dependall ]. Doing a make in other directories
(libsmutil for smrsh and libgroff for pic) seemed to do the trick.

It seems odd that I do specific directory searching in order to be
able to apply a patch. Did I misinterpret the 'dependall' part in the
make command or are my troubles not due to my (lack of) actions?

I'm sorry if the answers can easily be found in the documentation,
but my search for this came up dry. I'd appreciate any insight.

Cheers,

Rogier Krieger

Links to the relevant SA's:
[
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/security/advisories/NetBSD-SA2002-019.txt.as
c ]
[
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/security/advisories/NetBSD-SA2002-021.txt.as
c ]
[
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/security/advisories/NetBSD-SA2002-022.txt.as
c ]
[
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/security/advisories/NetBSD-SA2002-023.txt.as
c ]

--
"Eagles fly, but weasels don't get caught in jet engines..."